Da Vinci Waldorf School Families – You are invited!
Camp Manito-wish YMCA has a couple opportunities coming up where you can meet us and learn more about Camp.
CHICAGO – SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 23, 2020
Location: Smoke Daddy – Wrigleyville
Address: 3636 N Clark Street, Chicago
Date: Sunday, February 23, 2020
Time: 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
RSVP: To firstname.lastname@example.org
ONLINE – WEDNESDAY, MARCH 11, 2020
Location: Online via Zoom
Date: Wednesday, March 11, 2020
Time: 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm
RSVP: To email@example.com for Zoom invite / By March 10 appreciated
Are you looking for an overnight summer camp experience for your 5th-10th grader? I am a Waldorf parent myself and new to the Director of Recruitment position for Camp Manito-wish YMCA. While I’ve known about Camp for years (worked at Camp when I was 20!) and have been excited for my own daughters to be old enough to attend, it wasn’t until I was in this position that I realized how much Camps ideals align with Waldorf family ideals. Because of that I thought I would reach out to Waldorf schools in the region to share the information because I know how helpful it is to have a recommendation of an opportunity for a Waldorf child.
From my Waldorf parent perspective, a Camp Manito-wish summer camp experience aligns so nicely for the following reasons:
- Our Mission: To enrich the character and leadership development of each person who has a Manito-wish experience by challenging them to grow in wisdom, in stature, in favor with God and one another.
- Our intention behind using nature/wilderness experiences to build character and develop leadership. All campers go on trail for 3-9 days, depending on age, via canoeing, sea kayaking or backpacking adventures. Our high school students can work their way up to our 20-45 days outpost wilderness expeditions!!
- Our collaborative leadership model is apparent in everything we do.
- Campers completely unplug at camp – no devices, no make-up, separate boys & girls camp so less pressure, no snack shop (they still get desserts at meals and random treats from the counselors), good food that meets all dietary needs. The focus is on building skills, building relationships, and having fun. Getting dirty and letting kids be kids.
- Programming is intentional, providing progression for continual growth, along with our wilderness tripping that instills confidence, leadership and self-esteem.
- 12 Program areas for growth – tennis, horseback riding, archery, riflery, mountain biking, sailing, crafts, swimming, music, nature, kayaking, paddle boarding.
Camp Manito-wish offers 2 and 4 week overnight summer camp sessions. There are 2 boys sessions (first half of summer) and 2 girls sessions (second half of summer) to choose from. You can learn more about those options here. Many youth from the Chicago area attend Camp. Because of this there is a bus from the area that can transport your child to Camp.
Our Leadership Program is a great fit for any 6th-8th grade (or up to 12th) class to bring them together and facilitate leadership skills. They get a great northern WI location, and an opportunity to build relationships with each other through our leadership facilitation. I recommend connecting with Mark Zanoni or Sean Hurtubise via the website inquire button or let me know and I’ll have one of them contact you. https://manito-wish.org/leadership/
I sincerely hope you’ll consider joining us at one of our events or go to our website to learn more. If one of the events does not work with your schedule I would be happy to talk with you at any time. Feel free to contact me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 715-385-9270 x234.
Enjoy the day!
Angie Lemar, Director of Recruitment